I have made 2 of these types of Upcycled kids kitchens over the past few months & my kids begged to make them one. My kids questioned me when I told them it was for us to keep, "Really, its staying here? You're not selling it? You're not taking it to the store?" LOL:)
The total cost was probably $50 or less for all the supplies:) The total time I have into it was about 6 hours.
The first step is to find an old solid wood entertainment center - I never work with MDF/fake wood, it doesn't hold up, it's harder to paint & let's be real - it looks ugly. I spend $8.49 on this one at Goodwill. Free is my favorite but they are a lot harder to find then you think, I need a very specific size to haul it in the back of my truck.
|wheels added on the bottom to move easier|
|you can see the wood grain is different and the hinges on the bottom of the door|
|see the door hinges on the bottom of the door on the left and on the side of the door on the right|
The hardest decision I always make is picking out the color combos for anything i paint. I wanted this kitchen to be for both my girls and my boys to play with so I didn't want to paint it too general specific. I found this set of dish towels and oven mit for $10 new off a local facebook garage sale page. I found that the towels fit perfectly on the back of where sink/microwave/stove top where so I based my colors off of the towels.
|$10 dish towels and oven mit, my color scheme:)|
I then took the "oven" door off again along with the big side door so I could paint them easier. The glass on the big side door also had to be taken out & so i could cover it in a paintable wallpaper. I start the painting process by painting the inside of the door blue and the outside cream - notice I didn't paint the entire bottom panel/square on the door because that was going to be covered the the paintable wall paper too.
|inside door painted blue|
|this is the "oven" door, the outside is painted cream|
|glass taken out on the top and bottom isn't fully painted, that is where the wallpaper will be cover|
|wallpaper drying on the glass|
|wallpaper painted solid black before I brushed on the white wax|
|the completed look|
|added new handles|
|screws on back of handles|
I also used a few coats of polycrylic to seal the paint, its low odar, water based, and dries super quick.
|inside the doors pink, everything else in an aqua/mint color|
|what i use to seal the paint|
I painted the shelves that go on the inside of the refrigerator in the same blue that i used for the inside of the doors. I painted all 3 shelves, top and bottoms. I eventually only add 2 of the shelves in the final product but the 3rd can be added if the kids think they need the extra storage.
|refrigerator shelves painted blue|
Now is where i needed to grab more tools. I found the sink in the pet section and the faucet both at Walmart. I had to drill double holes for the faucet, it came with a plastic piece to help map out where to drill the holes.
You have to make sure you map out where the sink and faucet will be going they both line up and fit properly on the wood...but make sure the faucet isn't too far back so it gets in the way of the back paneling (my pretty dish towels). Yes I learned that I hardway on the very 1st kitchen upcycle I did:(
|deciding where the sink and faucet will go|
|drawing/mapping out for drilling the holes|
For the sink, we have used a huge saws-all to cut the round hole in the past. Everytime we used it we cut out side the lines because the blade was too big and powerful for the tight curves on the holes and the tiny space we were cutting. The way I did it was much more time consuming but I knew it would cut the circle properly. (Santa bought me a jig-saw so we will be using that for drilling the sink holes for future kitchen upcycles I do!)
Sink - I drilled tiny holes every 1/4", used a small hand saw to cut the circle going through the holes & sanded the sides to make the edges smooth.
|the faucet holes drilled. The sink holes where I drill every 1/4 inch|
|using the handsaw I cut through the drill holes & sanded the edges.|
I then colored the stove top "coils". I found these corkboard circles at Ikea. they were the perfect size and prize. I just used a permanent marker end just color in a circular motion. I adhered the cork circles to the wood using nails.
|cork circles from Ikea & I colored the coil-like design with permanent mark|
|i nailed them on to the wood|
|sink stoppers turned into oven knobs|
|The backsplash, dish towels and staples|
I added a microwave to the kitchen. We found this microwave at a garage sale over the summer. I adhered to the top and sides to make sure it was strong and sturdy. I couldn't screw it through the back because there wasn't a board behind it. I also added a tension rod and hooks for all the pots and pans, the kids really really like that idea! It can easily be removed but I think they all like the was it neatly organizes.
|screws added to the top and side.|
|microwave and tension rod|
|tension rod and hooks for pots, pans & lids|